We’re looking for a new team member to be a Electrical Engineer at our “Robot Ranch” just outside Austin. We are a small, cutting-edge research shop working to expand the limits of human and robotic exploration. A candidate can be entry-level or have a few years of experience, but must be able to perform dedicated, high-quality work while fitting in to our small, highly dynamic team. Most work will be in Austin, but the ideal candidate will be available for extended domestic travel to work with project collaborators. In addition, motivated, qualified team members are selected to participate in our field expeditions to lakes, caves, the high seas, the Arctic, and Antarctic.
Position Primary duties:
- Responsible for design, analysis, and testing of advanced electrical and electronic components and systems.
- Responsible for documenting designs and procedures.
- Assist in running lab tests, and compiling and analyzing test data.
- Aiding in proposal preparation tasks (preparing diagrams, figures, text descriptions).
- Help to maintain and organize lab, parts, tools.
- Aiding in facilities maintenance and improvements (e.g. helping to install new equipment).
- Ability to help solve complex problems during design, assembly, and test.
- Works in a meticulous and thorough manner, pays attention to detail.
- Ability to own a piece of a project and see it to completion.
- Motivation to learn and act independently with little supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively among team members both on site and distributed.
- Willing to learn new skills, wear multiple hats, and work on different types of projects.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Hands-on experience with fabrication and component testing and validation of electrical and electronic prototypes.
- Experience with integration of multiple electrical components (boards, processor stacks, power electronics, sensors) into integrated systems.
- Experience creating printed circuit board schematics and layouts.
- Experience with a start-up environment and fulfilling multiple roles on a day-to-day basis.
In your cover letter, please describe your electrical design experience and particularly note experience of any type with: high-voltage systems, fiber optics, high-power lasers, vacuum systems, cryogenic systems, or underwater applications.